The VERTIGO STARTS Artistic Residencies Program organises collaborations between artists and research and development (R&D) projects in the field of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT). VERTIGO is funded under the H2020 European STARTS initiative, innovation at the nexus of Science Technology, and the ARTS.
The program is organised in 3 yearly open calls for proposals which will be selected by an international jury. A total budget of 900.000 € is allocated by VERTIGO for funding the participation of artists in at least 45 residencies. The selected artists will contribute to the innovative aspects of ICT R&D projects’ research by bringing original perspectives through artistic practices. Those practices should naturally lead to an original artwork based on the project technology featuring novel use-cases with a high potential for innovation. VERTIGO will also act as a platform to showcase produced works to the public and actors of innovation.
R&D projects interested in the program are invited to fill an online submission form until April 10th (10:00 CET).
Look at their impressive Artistic Network which includes the V&A, ars electronica and the Venice Biennial. Organisations can still become part of this network.
Requirements and process
Pre-conditions for first residency call:
- The project is funded through a public European or national program in the field of ICT;
- It ends after February 2018;
- It is fully committed to integrate the artist into the project organizational and collaborative framework;
- It gives the artist access to technologies developed by the project;
- It provides a basic working environment for the artist. Optionally: provides a technical infrastructure for hosting the artwork production process (otherwise will be supported by a Producer third party brought by the artist).
- Interested projects fill a form presenting their activity, technology and hosting offer;
- The projects submission platform will close on April 10th at 10:00 am CET. No additional submission will be accepted after this deadline for the 2017 Call.
- A selection of available projects will be published from April 15th;
- The selected residencies will start from September 2017 at the earliest;
- A co-production contract will be signed between all concerned parties including the partner of the ICT-Project in charge of the residency.
- Residency applications will be submitted in relation to one of the selected projects. Conditions and process